PDA

View Full Version : This Is Unprecedented..............

Frank Walsh
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Sitting in the Library this morning, thinking of the new lures of must have for next fall, I came to the startling realization that I did not loose one lure this past trolling season. Of mine that is. Horseshoeass Smith lost one with his "three time's the charm" ordeal. And John Hill lost a very special Injun Joe custom on a submerged tree in 30 feet of water. But yours truly survived the entire season with his collection intact.

Quite the tribute to Jerry Bortz's lure retriever.

JBlanck
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
You have to troll with something other than a Top Raider to qualify for this award, though.

DSmith
11-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Lets see if I can remember what happened, I tried to forget the misfortune. First my swivel opened up and the lure floated to the top and we were able to turn around to pick it up. Within 5 minutes, my trolling leader broke in half and once again it floated to the top for us to pick it up. So I replaced the leader to eliminate the carma that came with it. Again within 1 hour Frank steered the boat directly over a lure eating rock and guess what? The 10" #901 Jake now sleeps with the fishes. The worst part that before all this happened, I caught a 43" Muskie and was going to troll the Jake the rest of the afternoon. No spares in the Ranger of this color. Even if there was, with my bad string of events, my buddie Frank would not let me use it. Who would blame him.

Frank Walsh
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Jeff,

You'e on to me. certainly coud explain why I never hung up, except on a lilly pad, and the customers were hung up continously. However I switched to a Whopper Plopper. Keeps the prop from bending when pulling across logs and islands.

Now Mr. Smith. You are 75% correct with your tale. First, I had the same lure in my bucket, but did not want to use it. Last year it was by far the hottest color. But sucked this year. Hence the silence.

Now, if you remember when your lure finally succumbed, the lure hit the ledge, and the cheap crap line you use immediately snapped. No chance to even try the lure retriever. BANG-SNAP!
Not going to mention the brand as I made the mistake of putting it on my Penn 975 Cowgirl reel. You can hear it running through the guides in the back of the boat. It will not go on Tranx next season.

Brett
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Early into the fall I snapped a few baits off clean on some shield rock. Luckly the bait floated up, one was the Harbour Master I got the last fish on. I was running 80lb, have previously used 100lb, went lighter for some idiot thinking I would get a better dive curve.

I bought some 100yd spools of 150lb power pro off ebay for under $7.00

I was hesitant thinking it would be rope. Came in the day before my last trip. I was surprised how thin it was. Didn't affect the dive curve much at all, but wow, can you ever abuse that stuff. Hit a few shoals deep so hard was afraid my swc st. croix's where going to snap.

never lost a bait, had to get the retriever out a few times

I'm really good at catching these, this one came off a deep hump stacked with bait, caught the very end of the rope, first couple yards I dragged it felt like queenie shaking her head, too bad reality sent in quick

I'll never use anything but for trolling now, imagine it would be perfect for casting as well, thinking it would be easier to control a thicker line casting into the wind

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5416/158et.jpg

DSmith
11-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Only one break off in 13 years of trolling Power Pro and I won't hear the end of it. I think that you are waiting for the Shimano Tranx to arrive and then, in the middle of the night, you will be ordering Power Pro Super 8 Slick for the reel.

Frank Walsh
11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
You are avoiding the disproportionate number of snags caused by that imitation line.
The elephant in the boat?????

Brett, you are spot on. I've gone from 80# to 100# test in most of my reels, and it's a world of difference. Probably a great idea with the big dogs like your Harbourmaster to up it to 150#.

Don't think I could ever recover if I lost one.

DSmith
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
15162Let me know when you are ready to go snagging in Oklahoma for Paddlefish as they use 150# PP. The one problem they have is that the 3# of weights that is tied on the end of the line wears down in the loop. I tried to get them to use tubing to protect the line but they hesitate using it.

Frank Walsh
11-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm convinced. I'm switching all my reels to Power Pro by the weekend at the latest.

Jerry Borst
11-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Hi Frank, been a while!
Glad to hear you've gotten the hang of that thing!
Been getting a few anchors as well, the lakes down here are littered with em, ha ha, baits too!
Have a good Christmas and thanks for all your help!

musky1969
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey Jerry,
Can you drop off my yellow Beliver you found that is in your photo, I lost it on that spot.
Thanks
Darren

Frank Walsh
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Unreal. That's a regular anchor museum. I would open a store. Last thing Darren needs is a free lure.

Jerry Borst
11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Darren, anytime you want to meet for one I'll bring it along, hope ya had a good year!

The collection of anchors and other stuff goes on, keeping only the good ones and leaving the home made, cinder blocks ect at the ramp. One of my favs, anyone loose a chair?