PDA

View Full Version : Finished the year right.12-31-2011

walleyemaxx
01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Had a big numbers day yesterday to finish out the 2011 season. With an almost perfect weather day with hwavy clouds, low pressure, and a light wind from the S.E. with temps in the high 20's, the Walleyes and Perch were biting. I started out with the jigging rap that had produced so well this ice season. But yesterday the small spoons were the ticket. Nothing would do more then take a quick look at the horizontal presentation with either waxxies or minnow heads, but as soon as I put down a spoon with a minnow head, the fish wouldn't leave it alone. It was fun to watch the fish come blasting off the bottom and smash the lure. Just for fun I tried to reel the bait up fast to prevent the hit, but couldn't. They were swimming up sometimes 6-8 feet to hit the bait. I iced 23 Walleyes and 11 Perch losing more then I caught. None of the Walleyes made the 15" minimum, but some were close. I kept 8 Perch so I wound up with a good fish dinner.

I fished the same lake close to home that I have fished quit a bit this December. The Walleye population was on the down swing for the last few years, but now looks to be on the rebound. In a few years a lot of the Walleyes will be reaching the minnimum size. But for now, it's fun to catch numbers. For the month of December I have iced 137 Walleyes. Only kept about 6 but the fun is in the catching. Now that the ice on the lakes have finally thickened up, I can fish other lakes with the mobility of my ATV. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx

DWW
01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Looks like you had some good fishing up by you in Vilas County last month. Unfortunately there is no safe ice by me down here in SE Wisconsin. We reached 48 degrees here yesterday. Looks like the group I went to LOTW with last winter are planning another trip to LOTW at the end of February. According to the reports I've read the walleye/sauger are biting well so far this ice season. Quick question i have for you, do you know anything about the Cisco Chain, fishing wise and resorts on the Wisconsin side of the chain? Looking to rent a cabin for a week this coming July/August and may want to try something besides the Chip.

Mark Benson
01-06-2012, 04:56 PM
DWW:

Bent's Camp on Mamie Lake

Mark

walleyemaxx
01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey tony,
You renting from freds beds again at lotw? The Cisco chain I haven't fished for years. the reason is I found much better fishing elsewhere. For instance, the Chippewa Flowage. In that time frame of July- August you'll see incredible boating traffic on the cisco chain. Living this close to it I use to fish it in all seasons. I never was satisfied with my results. Maybe you will do better, I don't know, but there are many, many better places to go. I still think you're better off continuing to fish the Big chip.

The fishing on the Big Chip is truly outstanding for all species. the Crappies are on the upswing with thier size structure increasing. Last year I started to catch more Crappies over the 11" mark and even bigger. Up to 14 ", The Perch and Bluegill fishing is second to none and when the Walleyes play hard to get, the Bass and northerns offer very good fishing for numbers and size. And lest you forget, the Big Chip is probably the best Musky lake in the world. Lots of Musky's over the 40" mark are caught and released evry year. The Walleye fishing has been on the slow side recently but that is on the upswing. The DNR is finally putting regulations in place to help them out.

The other truly special treat about the Chippewa Flowage is the scenery. Very few lakes left in the world with the natural beauty of the Big Chip. Don't give up on her Tony. You've gotten to know her pretty well. Stick with her and she'll reward you. Let me know what you decide.

Walleyemaxx

DWW
01-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes we are going with Freds Beds again on LOTW. I'm not giving up on the Chip, just thinking since the walleye fishing was slow last year I'd keep my options open. I prefer to use artificials and from what i read on your reports this past summer catching walleye on anything but live bait was a task. Still hope to get up to Indian Trail for a few days in June.