PDA

View Full Version : Star gazing!

rambler
01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
I saw a good bunch of stars late today. My head was between my Knees at the time. We were walking out with a big load from an inland lake we hit for Pike. It's a steep downhill going in and a long hike. Coming out of course it's a steep UPHILL> Our youngest son had his army buddy fly up to try a hand at ice fishing (He is from the South) so he put a group together. 8 in total. I was the oldest but I got to go because I had the power auger and the STUFF. The next oldest was a little less than half my age. 4 of them less than 1/3 my age. Lots and lots of flags and short Pike. Two keepers and my toughest workout in ages.
Venison hot dogs for lunch.
Just a month back from Afghanistan I was excited to have Dan home. He had three tours in Iraq previous to that and so I wanted to do my part to help show his buddy a good Yooper time.
Next time though, I am voting for a place we can take a snowmobile!

schmutzomatic 5000
01-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Be sure to thank them all for their service from all of us... Glad they all returned safe to this beautiful place where you freely enjoy the great outdoors..... And their is a great entertainment value watchin the ol man huff and puff.. Told mine when he was home for christmas, "remember when I would tell you dont make me kick ur a##? Now I am just hopin you don't say the same to me." lol They grow up but sure feels good when they come home...enjoy..

rambler
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Watching the "kids" grow up is an amazing thing. Dan's older brother Jeremy left Friday for a year in Liberia. He has served previously in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kosovo. His wife and three kids are back here in Marquette. An almost three year old girl and her twin sisters that are just shy of nine months. In Dan and Jeremy's high school years we were not always sure they would graduate (they did somehow) and we weren't sure they would survive. Kids with cars and not the best of decisions can be deathly.
Now both of these young men are mature. Good grades in college (financial help from the military I might add.) And they are nice young men that we are proud of!
Make no mistake though, the multiple deployments that are the norm in today's military can be a strain on young families. We are hopeful that this changes for the better in the future.
Thanks for the kind words and I will pass on the thanks to the boys!