PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing report 1-14-2012

walleyemaxx
01-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Ice fished a small lake in Vilas county today. Under a very cloudy sky with a light snow coming down carried by a soft west wind I was able to ice 12 Walleyes keeping two over the 15" size limit. Also caught 4 nice Perch that combined with the Walleyes will make a nice fish dinner. Caught everything jigging as nothing touched the tip ups. The hot bait was a small spoon tipped with a minnow head. I always start out using a jigging rap, but had no lookers. As soon as I droppped down the spoon, there was always lookers and sniffers with some biters. Tried waxxies but so far this year, the waxxies have produced nothing for me. As soon as I put on a minnow head, I get alot of attention.

We had a dump of snow for the last two days totalling about 6-8". I was worried about getting around but had very little problems. As I left I noticed some slush appearing where I had walked or in the tire tracks of the ATV. It's getting cold tonight with temps around zero so the slush shouldn't be a problem.The ice is still around 10" which is plenty for ATV's and snowmobiles. but not enough for trucks. Be carefull out there. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx