PDA

View Full Version : Big Chip report 2-05-2012

walleyemaxx
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone,

Fished the Chippewa Flowage yesterday with a mixed bag result. Got to the Big Chip it was 10 degrees and just felt colder. Good news is that travel is excellent. All the slush that I saw was frozen over solid. Was bumpy but otherwise ok. The ice was about 12" where I was with the top 3" frozen snow. It was great for ATV travel and snowmobiles, but I wouldn't drive a truck out. Did see tire tracks from trucks and that is where the ruts were because they sank through the 3" frozen snow. Driving your truck out now is still risky.

The fish were active from the gitgo. I fished a 20 foot sunken bog pretty much most of the day. Drilled holes all around it and found feeding fish all day. Caught Perch right away and the fishing remained steady. I caught a lot of small fish but wound up with a good mixed bag to clean up for a fish fry. Caught 9 Perch keeping 2, 8 Crappies keeping 2 and 8 Bluegills keeping 4 and 1 Northern which I kept. Lost a lot more fish and had marks coming in continually. Most of the marks were small fish. they stole a lot of bait. The ticket to catching was a small spoon tipped with Waxxies. The jigging rap was good for calling the fish in then the spoon to seal the deal.

The weather started out cold with a high blue sky. It remained cloudless all day but warmed up considerably. Never had to use the heater. Had a light SW wind that never felt cold. almost to nice. Met some nice people out on the ice. they were all having action on tippups fishing for Northerns. I never set a tippup. To much fun jigging. Thanks Jerky Josh for your report. I understand you were fishing a weed pattern. I was fishing a deep wood pattern. With the ice thickening up, the fish will start to migrate to deeper cover areas. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx