PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report 2-11-2012

walleyemaxx
02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Fished a small lake in Vilas County this afternoon. Met two friends out on the ice and had a good time catching fish. Between the three of us we iced 11 Walleyes and 8 nice Perch. None of the Walleyes were legal size but the Perch were all good size. Started out slow but after an hour the fish were moving. With the high blue sky and very brisk west wind, the cold was biting.We had 10 below zero wind chills. The fish seemed very skittish most of the time. Had to change baits continually. The most consistent presentation was a small spoon with a minnow head. The jigging rap still was good for calling them in, but had to put down a small spoon quick to seal the deal.

Travel on the ice was decent. I went through a couple slush pockets that I had to gun the engine or would have got stuck. Did get stuck once and shoveled in the windy cold for 15 min. to get going again. Thought this cold would firm up the ice but there is still a few spots to watch. Ice was 15" thick with some areas with about 6-8" of snow and some areas with almost no snow. The slush is under the deepest snow. Gonna see where I can fish tommorow where there isn't any slush. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx