PDA

View Full Version : TFF Update

Don Pemble
03-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Was out yesterday with my brother and a friend in search of some early perch and crappie fishing and what a day we had. Starting out vertical jigging with 1/16 ounce Reeves weedless jigs tipped with half crawler or rosy red crappie minnows, we found several rock bass along with a few small crappie and one big slab. Moving on to work shallow bays and weedy shorelines, we found a mixed bag as we had action all day from from all species except for bluegills and muskie. Working these areas with jigs and minnows/crawlers, we managed to boat another big slab crappie along with several big jumbo perch for the livewell. These areas also produced numbers of small and largemouth bass, walleye, and very nice size pike. Water temps in several shallow bays were as high as 54 degress and we witnessed several spawning fish during the day, some were in weeds so thick you couldn't get a bait in close. On one occasion, we saw fish splashing/spawning in as little as a foot of water, we casted to that area and not only caught an eye but a smallie as well, all fish were in tight to shore or relating to last years dead weeds. The panfish we cleaned were still full of eggs and the male perch were dripping milk all over the boat. Water levels appear to be about two feet low by old water marks on the shoreline boulders and stumps.

Back out today for more panfish action.

byronbears84
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks a lot Don! with some areas up to 54 degrees, the mayfly hatch could be as early as mid may couldnt it?

Don Pemble
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I doubt it, I really don't think the warm temps we are getting so early in the spring will have any bearing on the mayfly hatch, it most likely will be in June pretty much like always, have never seen then hatch in May, still can't figure out why they call them Mayflys.

St Croix Kid
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds like an awesome day.

byronbears84
03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
shoot. i really hope its in really early june! cant stand fishing when those things are abundant, i wont catch a thing while im up there!

Luckyman
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Don your lifelong friend Ron down in Florida. The day you took my cousin, uncle and myself out last June near BM was the best open water fishing day of my life on the TFF. Remember how sore your arm was from landing literally one fish after another the entire day? I think we caught and released somewhere between 175-200 fish and every specie except muskie. We are looking forward to booking you again when I venture back north to Mercer for the summer. Keep me posted and a day open for us. Not sure which brother you had out with you but my little bro Pro was grinnin from ear to ear when he saw our catch last year and realized the real pro on the TFF was the guide in the boat that day.

BlueSprint07
04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Anyone have the water temp for this weekend 20-22nd of April? Thanks in advance, keep the lines wet.