PDA

View Full Version : Big Chip fishing report for 4-23-2012

walleyemaxx
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Finally got the boat out for a shake down cruise yesterday. My original intention was to target crappies, but after a few hours looking in shallow with the water temps in the 49 degree range, I couldn't find any. So I went looking for perch in some deep wood spots. There I found fish. Mailnly perch. They were biting real light on my light tackle which made it fun to try to get a hook set. I was catching lots of little ones when the action just stopped. I was just about to lift anchor and move when my bobber went down. After a short tussle, I netted a 24" walleye into the boat. I quickly cut the hook off, snapped a quick picture and lifted the net into the water and let her swim away.

Now that made my day. I had casted my other line out and when I picked it up to reel in, I had another big fish hanging on. After a short tussle, I slipped the net under a 21" and hauled her in . Again I cut the hook off, snapped a quick picture while she lay on the bottom of the boat and lifted the net with her in it into the water and let her swim away. Now that was sweet.

I took my time retying my lines back up. If this were walleye season, I would have had many more rods ready and been trying to see how many I could catch. But not wanting to target the walleye, I tied on my small hooks and baited them up and finally cast back out. The perch were back which meant the walleyes had left. I had fun with the perch again keeping 4 for the pan and releasing eevrything else which were all pretty small. For baits, I was using waxworms on one hook and a crappie minnow on the other. Of interest, the bigger walleye nailed a waxworm. The other a crappie minnow.

It had just stopped raining when I put my boat in. The wind started out real mild from the west, and the water temps were in the 49 degree range when I started fishing. By two oclock the wind swithched from straight North and picked up. Not real strong, just enough to cool things down. The water temps were 48 degrees when I left in late afternoon. It remained cloudy all day with the sun breaking through a couple of times. The air temps were in the high 40's all day but being dressed in my ice fishing clothes, it was fairly nice.

Next trip over I'll be looking for crappies again but if they don't cooperate, I know of some good perch spots. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx