PDA

View Full Version : Deep or Shallow?

bmead03
05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
This is my first time going out on opener on little bay and was just wondering if it was better in shallow or deeper water? I fished down in AuGres a lot and it seemed the walleye were shallow most of the time, we did catch some bigger ones in deeper water but the majority was in shallow water 12 feet or less. Just wondering, im not looking for specific spots just how deep they normally are this time of year up here.

xtroll
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Bmead...
I have just moved here from Houghton Lake area as well. Did a little Ice fishing last winter. The folks on this site are great for the most part, and will give great advice. If no one answers you go to "Bay View Bait" on US 2, just out of Gladstone, both Diane and/or Chris will give you some tips. If they film a Super Hero movie around here Chris will probably get the Aquaman role as he lives on these waters...
Failing that, pick up a "Hot Spots" map from any bait store and try the "Flats" on Lil Bay; there are 3, and although this is my 1st opener as well I'd bet my Lund you'll see a slew of boats there tomorrow. I'll be the fat, ugly, old guy with the green Lund watching everyone else catch there limit.
Oh and for every Cormorant you run over with your boat, I'll buy a fish dinner at "Swallow Inn" on Friday. Good Luck!
Mike

nitecrawler128
05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm not a LBDN pro either... this is my 3rd opener out here. Based on the wind forecast site I use, looks to be a south-switching-to-north-wind by late afternoon. Maybe somebody can offer better advice than mine, but I'd say you better come prepared to fish 5-45 FOW. By the time I'm done with work tomorrow, I'm gettin' stuck with the Northerlies. I troll... and I'm gonna have snap weights varying from 1/2 oz. to 3 oz. It pays to be versatile out here. Sorry man, I wish I could be more specific, but it's been my experience that when the winds are swirlin' so are the 'eyes locations. Good luck. Either way, it's gonna be better than staring at a TV or computer screen... I did enough of that all winter!

RedneckYOOPER
05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Go shallow between 12 and 5 feet .....got in bout 10 min ago me and two other buddies limited out in about 45 min... nothing big had 2 that were 22"