PDA

View Full Version : Windy & Rainy Trip

DonH
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, we've returned from our spring trip. Fished hard Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Sunday was brutal. Hard rain and strong winds all day. My boat actually took shelter 4 times. The stuff came up so fast that even though all 3 boats were fishing the same area, when we took shelter we headed for the nearest island and we never all took shelter together. That was a first. Every boat has a radio and if we see trouble coming, we radio to discuss where we want to head to wait it out, and all 3 boats head there. The amazing thing was that the walleyes actually were feeding after the front came through with all that energy. One of the guys had just nailed back to back
19"s when we had to head for shelter the first time.

I've fished many times after a storm and usually have very little success. Sunday was not one of those days. Caught fish all day long, but we had to really fight the elements all day also, which was tough. There were no boats anywhere near the Big Waters or the Flats all day except our 3 boats. Does this mean we were smart because we caught fish, or dumb to put up with that kind of weather? The problem is we are all serious fishermen and with a limited amount of fishing time on these trips (4 days on this trip), we tend to hit it hard.

We actually had wind every day, all day. When I went to bed last night, I still felt like I was in a rocking boat. A weird sensation in your own house after not having fished for about a day.

By the way, we caught a ton of fish. The last 3 spring trips have been lights out. Also caught absolutely more small walleyes this trip than ever before. I believe the TFF will be even better in 2 or 3 years, and it's pretty damn good right now!