PDA

View Full Version : Reels for Muskie

BirdmanMI
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Just curious as to your take on reel requirements for some of the larger bucktails or topwaters that are thrown these days. I have a 6500 C3 and feel at times that I would be much better off with a power winch as it seems that after about a dozen casts, my arms are ready to fall off. Is this reel adequate or am I just a major wimp? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Mark Benson
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Birdman:

You could be a major wimp, but more likely you are using the wrong reel for these applications, or not placing the reel rod combo in the proper directions for easier use. Your ABU will come under some scrutiny for its durability, but lets not worry about that right now. Your reel has a 5.3.1 ratio which makes it usable for a variety of applications including almost all topwaters IMHO. While the reel's ratio will stand up to larger bucktails, a lower 4 ratio would make it more winch like for larger blades. That however does not mean that it will take all of the strain off your body. Pointing the rod at the bucktail will do a lot to help you relieve the strain until you get into the 8. Short answer for right now, but all the time I have right now.

Mark

Ty Sennett
07-08-2012, 09:34 AM
It's hard to beat the plain old Calcutta with a power handle. The TE is better yet but costs more. you will see a major difference with a power handle than a standard handle.