PDA

View Full Version : Kinzua report 7/26

toothyfishman
07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
My boy Jake and I fished Kinzua yesterday. We trolled up past the boat to only campground up past Sugar heading towards Willow and was surprised the amount of people that were there camping during the week. I knew they were calling for a big storm...they nailed it!!! We run for cover and beached in the back of a little cove and waited out one of the top 3 storms I've waited for, heck of a lightning show. We were back on the water in 45 minutes or so when it passed. We trolled all the way to Willow and then back down. When we passed the campground....WOW.....some very very lucky people. I'd say that around 10-12 trees fell all around the tents. The one tent had an "X" of two trees that fell with the tent right in the middle of the "X" opening. We stopped and made sure everyone was okay, luckily they were. I'm thinking a higher power was looking out for their butts!

We ended up catching 3 pike, one was a nice fat 33". Got a real nice pic of Jake with it. He's got all my dry clothes on since his raincoat is just for looks I guess? He got soaked! He was ready to go but I talked him into staying long enough to catch the nice pike, that cheered him up!

toothyfishman
07-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Forgot to mention...we caught one of those stupid white bass on a lil' ernie musky lure. I didn't know they were that aggressive.That is not good if they are hogging down all the baitfish!!! Anybody else catch them on larger lures before?

toothyfishman
07-27-2012, 10:35 AM

Here is the pic.

HD Fatboy
07-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Congrats Jacob! Nice Pike!

Red Childress
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice girthy pike! Nice job, Jacob

With all the barometer on the drop and finally able to fish some overcast skies/wind, we rose several hot tankers yesterday but clients just could not convert them at boatside. Every place we fished, we had action except for one area. Last year's primary spots have been subpar since the first week in June.........not sure what is going on with that but having a Plan B and C has come in handy this summer.

We barely made it to the launch yesterday before the typhoon hit around 2:15. It got ugly real fast. A couple of texts from clients along I-80 telling me to seek cover immediately but just like idiot musky fisherman, we wanted to fish right up until the high winds hit. I gotta stop doing that!

Here is a picture taken yesterday by one of my clients from the Clearfield/Dubois area.

lowbidder
07-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice pike guys.

Holy Crap.. that would get me off the water!