PDA

View Full Version : Warm water shallow fish?

ttabaleulb
08-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Just curious as to how many of you catch fish in 10' or less of water during the warmest times of the year (July and August specifically). Using flies sorta limits the depths that I can efficiently fish and I've missed a lot of fishing during July and August the last couple of years for multiple reasons. I'm just wondering if I need to try to spend some vacation time during those months too. Just curious about PA waters too.

Jay

cband
08-22-2012, 08:27 AM
On the section of river I mainly fish, it is mostly less than 10' deep. So I target that all season. On the few lakes I fish, I usually fish the deeper weeds in the 11+ depths. One of the largest fish I have seen spent 4 days last July laying behind a rock in about 2' of fast water. Not sure what is was doing there, but on the fourth day, it hit and after two head shakes, got off and never returned to the rock.

ttabaleulb
08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Thats interesting to hear about that big river fish. I'm plannin to hit a small river near me this fall and I'll have to keep that in mind.

Those depths that you mention in the lakes is pretty much what I have seen too in the waters near me. I guess I'll try a few trips next Summer and see what I can find. Thanks for the info.