PDA

View Full Version : Changing Casting Angles

ttabaleulb
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Recently, I was able to convert a fish that followed to the boat, took a swipe and my fly and missed. I initially tried boatside maneuver and then a cast back in the same area with no luck. However, we moved the boat further along the weedline and I threw another cast back at about a 90 degree angle difference than the initial ones. That fish (at least I believe it was the same one) crushed the fly with no hesitation. I believe that this is only the 2nd one that I can remember this happening with. Do you guys seem to have a lot of luck with this type of lure direction change? I do know that I've read a few articles about it over the last couple of years. Just not sure how much luck others have with it?

Jay

Red Childress
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
The 51" LSC fish that Horseshoe man boated last month ate the same bait she followed but at a different angle and much faster speed from the original cast.

The 50.5 from last October had been casted to at least 10 times from a perpendicular angle to the structure but as soon as I repositioned the boat so we could cast parallel to the structure, she ate on the very next cast without an increase in retrieve speed.

There is definitely something to the angle change. :)

lowbidder
09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I had one miss the bait 4 times back in January while casting perpendicular into some shoreline boulders it was tucked into. I gave it 10 minutes, repositioned downstream closer to the shoreline and cast past the boulders bringing the bait past the opening it was tucked into. It nailed it on the first cast. That was the first one I consciously changed the angle on and it was quite memorable because I felt like it was the first time I outsmarted a musky... Lol.

I was filming that day and kept the video for future reference. I stopped making my videos public (especially the little guys), but since it's relevant to the post...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_F2hqctpU8

ttabaleulb
09-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Guys,

Thats some great info and it really makes me have to reconsider the way I attack certain areas now. I'm thinkin I'll have to throw some direction changes at areas even though I might not have a fish follow. I usually just keep moving along, but it might be time to slow things down a bit.

lowbidder,

Thats an awesome video, thanks for sharing!! Definitely perfect for this topic. On a side note, is that a GoPro camera that you used for that? I just got one and have just recently started using it. Only have some footage of fish in the net at this point but I'm still workin out the kinks to make it more efficient for me.

lowbidder
09-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Yes, that is a GoPro. It's fun, but I don't always take it out. Sometimes I find myself more worried about getting good video than catching fish and then I put it away. I heard they have polarized lens covers that would make the follows turn out a lot better. I had a fish follow around the figure 8 twice this morning in very clear water and it was really cool to see with the naked eye, but you can hardly see it on the video.... just when it turns and flashes.

I also use it when I'm running new water... especially the skinny stuff. I'll watch it a few times before I go out to that spot again so I can remember the paths I took.

ttabaleulb
09-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I can certainly understand that. The last couple of trips, I forgot I had it in the boat until a fish was already in the net. LOL I too plan to get one of the lens filters to help cut down on the glare. Just hopin to get some cool video footage to go along with the standard pictures. Like you mentioned, it would be awesome to get footage of a strike during a boatside technique. I just got the remote for it too, so that can open up additional possibilities for using it too.