PDA

View Full Version : Ice conditions on lower bay

chrisgofish
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Haven't been down to LBDN in a while, how much ice is forming on the lower bay. Any chance of getting off the terrace in the next few days? Taking a break from the walleye fishing (has been incredibly SLOW this year) want to try for some whities or eelpout if lucky. THX

a group of about 6 of us from MQT have been fishing the bay pretty hard the last several years (6 for me), this year has been just plain terrible, not just catching fish, but it has been very dissapointing the number of fish we've been seeing on the vex and camera, and also the only fish we see have been a very short 15 min. window before dark, argggghhhhh! To date, 5 keeper walleye (20" the largest), 2 keeper pike, a couple of perch and a handful of undersize walleye between all of us.

Tight lines, hopefully things pick up.

Kidder
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
There is ice out there but no one has ventured out yet. Ive been keeping a close eye on it as I live across the street from the terrace and it is my easiest ice access.

fishingg3
01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
There is ice out there but no one has ventured out yet. Ive been keeping a close eye on it as I live across the street from the terrace and it is my easiest ice access.

I was on my way to escanaba and seen some one ice skating but not out far...lol

The Bait Shop Guy
01-18-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm sure people will be venturing out off the Terrace on foot, this weekend. It's still relatively new ice. If it holds up to the westerly winds Saturday, it will be good to go. It's going to be good and cold all next week, so next weekend for sure.

I checked the ore docks, Wednesday. There was ice about as far south as the mouth of the Escanaba River, with everything south of the river being open water. Single digit temps and light winds allowed most of that water to skim over.

There's finally snow in the forecast for the next week. Hopefully some snow cover on the ice will help improve the walleye bite a little. On the down side, it will make the newer ice look the same as the older, safer ice, south of Gladstone. Be careful.