PDA

View Full Version : Jaunuary 26th and 27th ice fishing report

Ty Sennett
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
On the 26th I fished with some friends for crappie and we caught quite a few. We kept some to eat and threw back some. We caught some big ones on jigging Rapalas thanks to Dave Dorazio's tip of the day at the bait shop when I saw him. It's a pain in the butt to unhook them with that Rapala though. We caught some 12 inchers but nothing over that. Lots of 10 to 12 incher on Saturday.

Yesterday we tried some pike fishing with tipups and it was really slow. We caught four in about three or four hours. We missed quite a few but it wasn't very good. Might have just been in the wrong spot. We did get rained on at the end and then it snowed pretty good. It's nice to see some snow. We don't have that much on the ground right now.

Good luck,

curleytail
01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
I tried the Chip for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. I tried one spot only - a deep hole/basin type area. I found a few fish in about 30-34 feet of water but they were very scattered. Drilled a lot of holes and searched a lot to mark one or maybe two fish in a hole, drop down, and hopefully catch them. They were very spooky - lots took off before the bait got withing 4-5 feet of them and the bite was extremely light.

I ended up with 8 crappies between 10-11 inches in around 3 hours. I'm hoping to get out again this weekend and will leave myself some extra time to do some exploring.

Tucker

Mark Benson
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Tucker:

Dropped down in the deepest spot on Squaw Lake last Sat. before I had to leave to Fibbers to help with Manthei's tourney... I could only fish for an hour by the time I got hooked up with my friend. Managed to pull up 8 with the biggest being 13". Kept those for the refrig and fry pan!!!

I was able to get out to the same lake, but not the same spot as I hate being crowded, so I won't crowd other people even it might be the best spot on the lake. Didn't catch anything either...

Fast forward to Tues., managed to get a couple of friends who don't get out too often and hoped to get on the spot and perhaps do well before I had to leave to ref a ball game. I dropped in with CJ&S Chekai w/ a red wedgie, got three, but then it just deadened out, moving fish on the screen, but none of them really wanting to commit. Switched to spoons, jigs with bait and couldn't get it to work.

I was taking one friend home while the other two stayed out 'til dark and got a call 30 minutes later stating that the first of 6 were on the ice before I left the ice and his wife caught a pair while I was on the phone with him, they ended up with 10 to take home and minnows on the jig ended up being the pattern for the catching for the day...

Did I say I love crappies when they chase???

Mark