PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report 4-15-2013-open water....sort of

walleyemaxx
04-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Drove by the Big Chip and under the "CC" bridge was OPEN WATER. I couldn't resist. I had my ice fishing poles in my truck so grabbed them and stumbled down the riprap to the water's edge. 37 degrees with a wind gusting up to 20 mph, heavy overcast sky, and not dressed for it, I gave it a try anyway.

I had on a small jig and luckily had a few waxxies in the container still alive. (the black ones stink).Packed the hook with live ones and had a heck of a time casting that little jig against the wind. After 15 min. as my hands were getting chilled by the breeze, my jig stopped. Setting the hook I thought I had a snag. Then it moved! I warmed up in a hurry and fought a giant fish.

With my 28" light action crappie ice rod, it was a fun challenge. Giving and taking and having to stumble over the rocks to catch up to it because there was no way to reel it in, after about 4 min. I saw it. A huge walleye. I've caught some 30+inch walleyes before and this one was every bit as big. She waved her white tipped tail at me and swam deep away from shore. My drag gave line until she gave a hard head shake and ended the game by breaking my line. Just as well. I didn't really want to handle her. She was fat with eggs, so hopefully she starts another generation of walleyes.

I discovered I didn't have any more jigs but that was ok. Time to head home and warm up. next time I'll be dressed for it and will have my tackle box along. First open water fishing of the year. Hope it was an omen of what is to come. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx