PDA

View Full Version : Oconto area

jigginfins
04-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Can anyone pass on some simple info reguarding the walleye fishing in the area ? Im planning on a short trip the 2nd weekend in may and if anyone can pt me in the right direction for a starting pt I can figure out the rest, hopefully.

Thanks

Captain Ahab
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Depending on your boat and where you'll be staying, you can launch at the state park/campground or at the city launch. Just a warning, I was there last year and it was pretty skinny water getting out of the state park launch, near the rock wall. If you launch there, stay as close to the wall as you can and keep an eye on your depthfinder. I think it was roughly 2.5 feet deep last year, so I'd be really worried about it this year. Size up the trailers in the lot and make your call.

As far as spots, I'd work from the state park east/north east to the Peshtigo River on crawler harnesses. As far as depth, I'd stay shallow early in the day and work my way out as the light/fishing pressure increases. Never really fished much south of the Oconto River, but then again, never really needed to. Good Luck.