PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone Fish cleaning station

chicago_guy
08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Good morning community,

As my handle may provide insight I am from out of town and took a vacation to this wonderful area based on all the great reports I heard of fishing. I absolutely love it up here! I spent a good deal of time fishing for LMB, SMB, trout, walleye, and panfish. I did pretty well and had a great time. I was in Gladstone walking around and exploring to find a fish cleaning station.

I was really surprised to see one there and investigated. I was excited as I don't have a good place to clean my fish and found myself previously filleting them on the counter of my hotel and using the sink to wash them. Well when I stepped foot in there it was a complete disaster. There were chunks of Salmon everywhere. Scales, what looked like livers, blood, guts, just all over the place. On the table, on the floor, dripping and dribbling down the garbage cans like someone carelessly just threw them away. I can tell the facility itself is very nice. Someone went through a lot of time and effort to design a great station (Great job!). The table is great with these cutting boards that lift up to make cleaning easy. Awesome hoses right there for you to spray everything down and keep it clean. I love the metal grate windows to allow ventilation.

I went fishing in Canada a different year and the fish house there was just awful, this one is far nicer. I was disappointing by the lack of social consideration for other people. I'm not trying to point any fingers but from the volume of salmon that was there I would have to guess it came from some type of charter. I used to go on salmon charters out of winthrop harbor all the time. My discovery was on Wednesday the 28th and it looked like the fish guts had not been there much longer than a day or two. Whoever used it to clean out their salmon on Monday or Tuesday should really be ashamed. Where I am from we were taught to be responsible for yourself. To have consideration for your neighbors.

Everyone I have met in this community has been the beacon of friendly and hospitable. I believe this community to be full of fine individuals that I would love to make the acquaintance of. However, to whomever is the slob that needs to be reminded by his or her mother like a small child, please clean up after yourself. That was disgusting and will only deter good people in the area from using it. I went ahead and spent all of 20 minutes cleaning it up so the next person wouldn't have to deal with it.

I'm not trying to come off too strong, but if it was a charter I would think they would be on here and I hope they may read this and think twice the next time they leave their mess.

I look forward to coming back again and enjoying this beautiful area again!

The Bait Shop Guy
08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay - for the most part. It's a somewhat rare occurrence to find one of the cleaning stations, (there's also one at the Escanaba River launch,) in that bad of shape. I will guarantee that didn't happen with one of the local charter captains. Unfortunately, all it takes is one slob to make us all look bad.

Thanks for taking the time to clean up the mess that somebody made. Good luck the next time you are up here.