PDA

View Full Version : Smallies starting to school up

The Bait Shop Guy
10-15-2013, 05:28 AM
I got a call at the shop from my dad Monday afternoon. He told me the half dozen chubs he had with him got put to maximum use! He found a big group of smallmouth schooled up in shallow water, (6 to 10 feet.) After several drifts through this spot, he had landed 6 or 7 smallmouth, (with four in the 19 to 20 inch range,) and a couple bonus pike. Several of his minnows were well "used," but still caught fish. A couple of the bass were also caught on tube jigs. Every fish brought in had 1 to 3 followers with it.

I must have caught the tail end of the bite by the time I got out there, going 3 for 5. I hooked 4 bass in the first 5 casts with a chub on a short Lindy Rig. Got two 17 inchers and a 19 1/2. Again, there were followers with every fish hooked. The reason I lost one of my fish was because I tried flipping a second line with a tube jig. It's kind of hard to land a fish with one rod held between your knees while casting with the second rod. Would have been awesome if it had worked, though!