PDA

View Full Version : Couple big bass

The Bait Shop Guy
10-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Finally forced myself to go fishing yesterday. Weather has been absolute crap this last week and half - cold and windy, (water temp has dropped 10 degrees in that time, and is now in the high 40's.) It was mid forties with manageable west winds, so I figured I could put up with that for some bass along the west side of the bay. Unfortunately, just as I was getting on the water is when the wind started switching to the south and started blowing harder. Screw it, I'm already on the water. Let's do this! It wasn't too bad at first, but it got really nasty, quick!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's amazing what you'll put up with when the fish are biting!

First drift through one of my spots got me a 19 incher.

Second drift - doubled up on two 20 inchers.

Third pass - another 19.

Fourth drift - one bite, no hook-up.

fifth pass - 17 incher.

Sixth drift - no bites and it was time to get out of Dodge! Had to pound through the waves all the way back to the river. Too rough to put her up on plane. I got soaked!

Had to clean up this picture a little bit with Photoshop. Looks nice in the picture. I assure you, it wasn't! :D

The Bait Shop Guy
10-31-2013, 06:10 AM
Finally a nice day on the water. Light SE winds with overcast. Picked up one small pike, two bass in the 16 to 17 inch range, two 19 inchers, and landed one toad that broke the 21 inch mark. Lost 3 more fish. Not a bad way to spend a couple hours on the water.

captdoug
11-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Chris, what is the water temps, on the upper bay and lower bay?

Thanks

The Bait Shop Guy
11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Had 47 to 48 degrees on either side of Gladstone.

captdoug
11-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Water temps today, upper bay 43 lower bay 45.

The Bait Shop Guy
11-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Still reading 47-48 degrees down around Escanaba.

Not huge numbers the last two trips, but quality fish, with several 19 and 20 inchers. Running into a few decent sized pike, too. My buddy Drew lost one at the net that was pushing 40 inches, (cut the line,) and landed a 32 incher. His friend John got a 24 inch walleye and a 20 inch bass that was one of the biggest he had ever caught. Never know what you'll run into Lindy Rigging suckers this time of year.

The Bait Shop Guy
11-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Water temps have dropped into the low to mid 40's south of Gladstone. Smallmouth bite is still decent - well, for some of us, anyway:rolleyes:

My buddy Drew was up from Green Bay again Sunday. I landed 5 smallmouth and a nice eating sized walleye, and Drew got to net 5 bass and a nice eating sized walleye for me. I just don't get it? He was running everything exactly the same way I was. Luck of the draw, I guess.