PDA

View Full Version : Finally got out!

The Bait Shop Guy
12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Can't believe it has taken me this long to finally get out, on the ice!

Anyway, I hoofed it off the Gladstone harbor to the community meat hole, and had action instantly. I had one rod that I still had to rig with a snap, so I put a #9 Glow Hot Perch Rap on one of the other rods, dropped it down, gave it a couple good rips, and laid the rod down. Before I could even dig out a snap from my terminal tackle box, there was a fish on the graph making a beeline for my Rap. It was pretty active, and smacked the bait two times before finally hooking up the third time. It was a short fish, but nice to catch something the first time out.Waited another half hour or so before the next fish came in. Again, it was very active, and bit pretty quick. This one was a 16 incher and got iced. I switched to a #3 Glow Perch Shiver Minnow. Next fish that came in marked much bigger on the graph, and it didn't take much teasing with that Shiver Minnow to get it to bite. Ended up being a fat 21 inch male. Went home with enough fish for a couple nice meals for Diane and I.

Measured 11 inches of good, clear ice out there tonight. Next time out, I'm taking the truck. This walking out stuff is for the birds!

Speaking of birds -

Shortly after throwing the bigger walleye out on the ice, I could hear it flopping around. Well, the flopping sound went on for a lot longer than usual, so I went to go whack it over the head with the skimmer to "calm" it down. Opened the door, and there was a seagull going to town on my fish! Looked like a murder scene outside my shack door!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, here it is two weeks later, and I've only just gotten out for the second time! No issues with gulls, this time around:D

Fished off of the Gladstone harbor, on the outside edge of the main group. Marked 8 or 9 fish, had 4 bites jigging, landed two, kept one 17 inch walleye. Heard some whooping and hollering nearby, so somebody must have landed something nice.

Measured 13 inches of ice. There's very little snow on top, (didn't even put the truck into 4 wheel drive.) Sounds like there's 12 inches of ice at least as far south as the Terrace.