PDA

View Full Version : Getting around???

jigrapper
01-12-2014, 01:59 PM
How are most people getting around on the bay? Snow depth a problem? 4wd truck or is a snowmobile better? Planning a trip over but not sure what to bring. Appreciate any updates....thanks.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
4WD truck should be no problem. Biggest problem right now is the pressure crack running up the upper bay. Sounds like it heaved up quite a bit over the weekend, and can no longer be crossed from the west. You'll have to go out from the Vagabond, or possibly Hunter's Point, to fish east of the crack.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Sounds like the access at the Vagabond is badly snowed in and not usable by trucks right now.

pinnowc
01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Sounds like the access at the Vagabond is badly snowed in and not usable by trucks right now.

Do you know if anyone is planning to try plowing it open? I'm headed up tomorrow night and that was going to be my landing of choice for the day.

Wally Eye (aka Sassa Frass)

The Bait Shop Guy
01-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Vagabond owner tried moving snow with his tractor and bucket. He nearly got stuck himself. Would doubt it would be plowed any time soon.

Same person who told me about the Vagabond also said a friend went out from the Days river access last night. He was still able to get around with a 4 wheel drive truck. Snowmobiles would be a better choice than 4 wheelers on the upper bay. There's less snow south of Gladstone, than north.

CRAHO
01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Went off the Gladstone Yacht Harbor today -- 1 whitefish, a few other looks. Saw multiple trucks stuck, and I got temporarily stuck myself on the way off the ice. Not very easy getting around, even with 4x4. If you go, bring a shovel and a buddy to help push!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
They are now crossing the crack with trucks, just north of Saunder's Point. Brother of the guy that cleared the crossing spot said he took his F-250 across it, yesterday. Sounds like there's a plowed road heading due east from the Kipling access, right to it.