PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Bag jigging the bay

walleyemick
02-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Wild and fun morning jigging the bay this morning. Started with a 16" walleye at first light, then 2 nice whitefish, then marked a big fish half way down in 28' of water wound up to it with a white Swedish pimple and bam I was in for the fight of a lifetime, much to my surprise a 12# carp came up through the hole! not what I was hoping for but it was fun. Then around 9:20 a big mark came in on bottom I dropped a jig head and minnow down jigged it twice and it was in again, this time a 10# 2 oz walleye came through the hole, my biggest ever on a jig rod. And just for good measure I picked up one more whitefish about 9:55 just before I had to leave at 10:00 to head home. One of the funniest mornings I have ever had on the bay.

Fished Saturday night and got one whitefish 27" and 5#, lost another one right in the hole and lost a nice walleye in the hole on a tip up. The deep ice conditions got the best of me with the line eating into the ice on the walleye and my stinger hook snagged the ice and I was trying to pull the whitefish up.

I was targeting walleye both trips but was happy to take the whitefish, all my action was on a green jig head with a stinger hook and about 4" minnow except for the carp was on a pimple.

slammer
02-17-2014, 07:37 PM
That's a beautiful bloody mess ya got there Mick!!! Very diverse catch if I do say so myself. Dandy walleye and bet the carp was a hoot !!! I hate eating whitefish but they sure are fun on the line. Congrats on a great morning and thanks for the report and the pics!!!
Slammer!!!

The Bait Shop Guy
02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Great thing about fishing here - you never know what you might catch. Thanks for sharing.