PDA

View Full Version : Fairport

Esky Moe
07-15-2014, 09:07 AM
I've never fished out of Fairport but can someone help me with where to launch and general area you fish? I'm over by Breezy Point and can get to the Ford River can fairly easy but it sounds like where people fish by Fairport it might be quite a haul.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Esky Moe
07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Figured after over 100 views with no response I'd pick up the phone and call Chris and Diane at the bait shop and glad I did. In case anyone else is wondering, there are a couple launches at the end of the Garden Peninsula that are private and probably charge a fee but get you a lot closer to the fish than leaving from Esky harbor.
As always, thanks Chris and Diane for helping out!

RudyG
07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Yes... two launches at the end of the road in Fairport. Drive through Garden and keep going to the end of the pavement... That is Petersons Fishery. was $10 to launch.. ice there for sale, They have a walk-in cooler and freezer you shovel it out to fill your cooler... and a great cleaning station. Just before Peterson's is another that I have only gone out of once and I always forget the name. The launch is nicer but always more crowded. Cleaning station there also.. but its not quite as well set up as Peterson's IMO. Usually more room to moor your boat.
Allow extra time for travel in predawn as you will not want to rush on that highway with the curves and deer.

Zulu
07-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi Esky,

The other launch is Dick Rangetts. Also 10.00 to launch and a couple price options for ice. Fishing is close, 3-5 miles to Big Summer or Point De Tour. Fish East side of the Islands, Big Summer, Poverty, St. Martins. Just South of St. Martins is Rock Island and Wisconsin waters. Typically fish shallow, top 30-50' 90-150 FOW early and deeper as the sun rises. Be careful traveling to the fishing grounds. Leaving Mr. Rangetts you will see a buoy with a American flag marking the safe point to turn left towards the passage. Also note about 1.5 miles away from the launch site there is an orange marker marking the right side of the passage. Stay to the left of this while traveling to the fishing grounds as the water becomes very shallow fast. Take your time your first trip out and add waypoints for safe passage on your return. Also note Point De Tour has a shoal that protrudes out quite far, favor the Big Summer Island side of the passage on your way out.

I use to launch out of Esky Harbor and it is a 22 mile cruse passing Minneapolis Light House to St. Martins Island. Price of gas and chance of weather getting nasty makes Peterson's or Rangett's a good option.

Have Fun and good luck.

Esky Moe
07-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Special thanks to RudyG and Zulu for your help! I'm looking forward to trying this area and your tips on getting out and what to watch for are greatly appreciated! Gonna be a hoot if I actual hook into one for the first time! Odds are against me though as I only have a couple spoons right now but any lure in the water is better than none!
Again, thank you for your help!