PDA

View Full Version : Draw-down and it's effects

Jerry Tipping
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I have been getting a lot of e-mails, PM’s and questions on the effects the draw-down has on the fish and fishing in general. I hope this will shed a little light on it for you. These are just my thoughts after fishing these lakes for well over 35 years.

The draw down won't have a lot of effect for a couple weeks yet, but as it progresses the fish will relate more to the channels in the deeper water where there is more current and oxygen. If you look at a map of both lakes you will notice that the top edges are anywhere from 9-15 feet. Now take 5 1/2-6 1/2 feet of water away, plus 2-2 1/2 feet of ice, that dosen't leave much water on top. Keep in mind that this forces the water into the channel and the current will begin to eat away at the bottom of the ice pack. Two years ago my wife and I were having dinner at Carlson's on Castle Rock and were watching trucks drive on and off at the beach. Two days later it was open water. It can happen fast, be very cautious as the season wears on.

The following is right from Wisconsin River Power Company. Petenwell and Castle Rock Flowages Begin Annual Draw-downs in Advance of Spring Runoff Necedah, WI – Wisconsin River Power Company (WRPC) will begin drawing down the Petenwell and Castle Rock flowages on the Wisconsin River starting in February to prepare for the spring runoff of melting snow from northern Wisconsin. The draw-downs will be gradual and minimized as much as possible. Drawdown levels of up to five and one half (5.5) feet at Petenwell and six and one half (6.5) feet at Castle Rock could occur if National Weather Service predictions indicate that a potential exists for a large amount of spring runoff. The Castle Rock reservoir drawdown will begin on February 1, 2015 and the Petenwell reservoir drawdown will begin February 10, 2015. Both draw-downs are anticipated to be completed mid-March 2015 when the snow melt typically begins to refill the reservoirs. The WRPC urges recreational enthusiasts to beware of the dangers of shifting and unstable ice due to any type of flowage draw-downs.

Keep a tight line!!!

Jerry