PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Question

BassMan67
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
While I'm not an expert burbot fisherman by any means, I have caught just a few over the years by accident. I'd like to try targeting them yet this winter on little or big bay de noc and would appreaciate any tips at all as far as locations or techniques. I'm not looking for anyones "honey hole" just some friendly guidence for a rookie. Thanks alot.

slammer
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Good question,

From what I know and have read , these slimy, bugeyed, diamonds in the rough should be turning on shortly . I understand they spawn in late feb. to the begging of april depending on the area and climate .
Best bet is any of the steep drop offs , setting up just at the bottom of the break and usually best fishing is at night after the walleye run is over. One of the better areas I know of is right off the terrace on the first break. They like larger lures like large buckshots or pimples and especially ones that glow.
Load the lure with minnows on every hook and just thump and bang away at the bottom. Not much finese involved. You will know when you have one as they usually like to slam em. Great fighters and the best eating there is, period. I know they do very well over on Big Bay de Noc and have numbers of them, but have not been there fishing for them and don't know where.
While I'm thumping with one rod , my other is a dead stick set up with a slip bobber and smaller jig with a live minnow just off bottom. Probably gonna try it wednesday night , so if you see lights out late off the Terrace it's probably me. Will give a report depending on how good it is. I'm drooling already!
Slammer!!!!!

finaddict
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Burbot absolutely love glow baits fished at night. I've been averaging 2-3 burbot my last few trips out on Moonshine jigging spoons tipped with shiner heads. Glow Bloody Nose and Crabface have been the best....they glow the brightest. The Shiver Minnows probably would work well too, but I've been on a spoon kick lately. I like to jig them about 5 - 8 feet off bottom....they really come up and slam them! I've been fishing in about 30 feet of clear water with a rocky bottom.

Have your drag set loose and your gaff ready and don't forget to whack them over the head and lay them flat on the ice for filleting....otherwise they'll curl up.

Capt. Jim McDonald

j&z platt
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
More questions for the group. Any special way to clean them and is there a size limit?

CaptainKenLee
03-03-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/showthread.php?t=6875

The Bait Shop Guy
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
There are no size, season, or possession limits on burbot. I generally won't keep anything under 26 inches. Not a lot of meat on those smaller fish.