PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand

duckiller2
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
How come the eyes will come flying up from the bottom and hit the # 7 rap but not fully commit to the strike. I set the hook and nothing. It has happened about 40-50 times this year to me. I guess I feel more of a tap than hit but I am sure they are eye's. Are they small ones?

finaddict
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I've been using a camera quite a bit this season and have learned alot. Sometimes really nice fish will just come in and nose the lure and won't commit to biting. More often when you are getting your lure tapped the fish are really small. I can usually tell the size of the fish from the size and color of the mark it leaves on my graph. I usually just ignore the smaller fish and try to keep the bait away from them.

I've been jigging alot with spoons this year also. If your getting good marks but the fish won't bite your swimbait....try dropping a spoon down there tipped with some bait. Do-jiggers, William's wobblers, and Moonshines are my favorite spoons.

Capt. Jim

duckiller2
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks I will try tonight

The Bait Shop Guy
03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
As the fish starts swimming up to the bait, I like to start pulling the bait upwards, away from the fish. My thinking is that it simulates a baitfish trying to get away. If the fish mark on your graph goes almost vertical after the bait, that fish is hot and will likely smack the bait hard. If it continues following the bait up at the same rate, even after pulling the bait away from it, you're going to have to work a little bit more. It's good to have a "change up" rod ready for when something like that happens. I like to have the second rod rigged with something that has a totally different action, like a Buckshot spoon. If the fish shows some interest in the first bait, but won't bite, reel it up and drop the second bait down to them. That will often turn a looker into a biter.