PDA

View Full Version : Menominee River

10# Hunter
03-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Does anybody know if you can get a boat on the river yet? I was wondering if the river is still iced over or not. Can't wait to get down there and try to jig up a monster. Any info would help. Thanks in advance!!!

10# Hunter

slim jim
03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
It's going to be awhile yet. It's froze tight

backwaters
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
the first week or two of April would the only time id consider taking a boat in there for bigger walleyes. water temp, ice flow and accessibility will take a couple weeks yet

10# Hunter
03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks a bunch for the reply from both of you. It's really appreciated!

10# Hunter

slim jim
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Checked some pics from last spring. Pulled a 12.2lber the middle of april.

jtourangeau
03-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Seen a boat in the fox river last weekend[depear dam]

slim jim
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
As you probably know by now the river is open. Just looked at the satellite image and the ice should be off the bay soon also. Went out for a ride this morning to play with a new locator and a two year old which makes fishing almost impossible. Water temp was 39 and I saw a couple fish caught. From the talk off the town there are not too many females in the river yet.

10# Hunter
03-31-2009, 01:59 PM
slimjim

Thanks for the heads up on the Men. river. I didn't really know that the river was opened up. I've still been out chasing some jumbo perch and trying to get ready for some steelhead action. Anyway, thanks for the info.

10# Hunter

johnkregs
04-04-2009, 08:40 PM
played bumper boats in the river friday night and saturday morning

marked quite a few fish with only a few bites and no fish laned, i only saw two fish landed, looked like they were using jig heads and minnows.

it's not real fun when people run past you in a river over 50 mph over and over again, not sure i'll be back on a weekend...

but my kids had fun in the pool at the hotel!

water was 37 degrees. close to spawn

finaddict
04-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Spent quite a bit of time down on the river the past couple nights casting stickbaits with limited success. Water is the lowest I have ever seen it this time of year...like you can wade all the way across in spots. All the gates are closed at the the dam and just the turbines are runnning. I did manage to land 2 last night and 5 tonight (all males) and my friend Dave landed a few too including an 8.5 pound female...she was still tight. I didn't check water temp tonight but had 40.5 degrees last night right at dark. Shined for awhile and saw a few fish but nothing to get really excited about yet.

Summary: We need some rain and some warm weather to get things going.

Capt. Jim McDonald

slim jim
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
The jig bite has been just ok the last three days. I've been fishing in the turnbasin. Some guys are doing pretty good, others nothing. The wind has made it tricky and have had better luck just dragging jigs drifting than actually vertical jigging. I haven't seen anything over 25-26" yet though. Pic is from thursday. 25"

befishin
04-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Must be doing some trolling too? I see the trolling gear out.

cm175
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
What are the Menominee River fishing regulations this time of year?

Double Tap
04-05-2009, 09:10 PM
One walleye limit on the Menominee right now. If you can locate the Browns you can keep them too. Took my son Sunday afternoon and fished from the lighthouse pier, by River Park, and just to the north of the Interstate bridge with no success. Tried most everything (diving baits, floaters, cleos, jig heads with Zoom baits, all in a variety of colors). The wind kept the boat in the garage on this trip. Kind of discouraging for a 9 year old but when I asked him-he said it was still better than sitting home watching wrestling on tv. I'd have to agree! When we got home, mom had frozen fish fillets ready for supper. I guess she wasn't expecting fresh fish from this trip.

Double Tap
04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Kind of discouraging for a 9 year old but when I asked him-he said it was still better than sitting home watching wrestling on tv. I'd have to agree!