PDA

View Full Version : Last day report...

Kevin Lee
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
As soon as we locked up the store yesterday at 6:00 pm, we made a bee-line for the ice. We even talked my dad into getting out with us for a change! Anyway, I had high hopes pretty quick as I hooked a nice 18 incher just before 7:00 on a spoon and Gulp minnow. This was actually much earlier than fish have been coming thru at this particular spot, so I thought we were going to have a good evening on this last day of walleye season. WRONG! I proceeded to catch 11 throwbacks for the rest of the evening. That sums up my last day. Kenneth was about 100 yards away going to "hole to hole". He ended up with one eater walleye and a "piggy" of a perch. It was only 13 1/2 inches, but it had the belly of a 6 pounder! My dad and wife were in a shack 100 yards off in the other direction and Theresa caught one that just touched the 15 inch mark and dad had 3 throwbacks. So we ended up with 3 keeper walleye and the big perch. Saturday evening, Theresa and I only managed one keeper walleye and a Whitefish that smacked Theresa's Rap. Jim MacDonald gave us a couple nice walleye he got Saturday evening so that gave us enough for a meal as one of his was about 25 inches or so (thanks Jim). We spoke Friday about how hard it is simply getting the fish to bite! Seems harder and harder every year. The water seems more clear every year too. I saw my Rapala down 52 feet one day this season! All in all, a fun season. But definately frustrating at times!!!