PDA

View Full Version : Search for perch

The Bait Shop Guy
05-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Maybe I should switch the perch derby this weekend to a rockbass tourney! The old "red eyes" have been on a tear the last few trips, but the yellow bellies have been a little harder to come by. I've been hearing of more spawned out fish showing up in the catch, which leads me to believe they're up shallow doing their thing right now. Hopefully enough will have finished and moved out deeper to feed come Saturday.

steve l
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I wonder if anyone uses the Gulp Alive baits for perch with any success, and if so which baits?

CrankYanker
05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I have caught a few on the white maggots. But I gotta say its hard to beat a real one... In a pinch they will do. Bluegills on the other hand hammer those things, so will crappie so don't forget the gulp on your inland adventures. Actually caught a crappie in the river the other day for the first time in a long time out here.
(Caught it on a worm though)

steve l
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
When perchin' on L MI here in the Racine/Oak Creek area about the only thing that catches 'em are small minnows on a #8 gold aberdeen hook. That's not the case in other inland waters but on the big pond it seem to be. I guess I'll try the 2 1/2" Gulp Alive shiners when the time comes and report back.

bottle_bass
05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Has the perch fishing off Gladstone campground picked up yet. I seen alot of boats there and want to bring my son fishing.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-13-2009, 10:16 AM
It's been running behind schedule this season, so they are still just getting started out there. There was good perch fishing out there right into the middle part of June last year. You'll also run into a lot of walleyes playing that game. At least now you'll be able to keep a few after the opener. Good luck out there.