PDA

View Full Version : Terrova and Powerdrive Footpads

Red Childress
05-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Is anyone else wearing out their footpads on a yearly basis besides me??

I'm not knocking the product, just curious. After the first motor/footpad I purchase, the rest are replaced under warranty.

allegheny river kid
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Just replaced my powerdrive pedal. It had 2 full seasons and the beginning of this season on it. I was disappointed since they are $70 a piece.

H2O wolf
05-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Three years and I'm on my third one. I think I will take some time to take it apart and clean it more. That should extend the life. Seem like junk though.

Punch and Judy
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
After six years of use, ours went bad. Talked to a rep and he told me it sounded like chip in the motor went bad. So ordered a new one, 75 plus tax and shipping. Wanted to upgrade it to the wireless copilot, ordered one from Cabelas and had it shipped overnight and installed it the next day, low and behold it was working just fine. Called minn kota back up and cancelled the chip replacement! Got six years out of it, but still have to order a new footpad for a back up.

Red Childress
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I am very tough on the directional motors due to continuous adjustments in the river current. The motor itself has never died on me, just the right/left turns die after about 15-18 months.

allegheny river kid
05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
The right and left is what went on mine too.. I tore it apart three times and had it working again for about 10 min then it would quit going right. It looked like i had a spot that wore threw the clear plastic over top of the chip that controlled the direction right with the plastic hinge..

Red Childress
05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
That is where mine was worn out as well, all 6 of them. I tried putting a small, aluminum shim there but it did not work. The Terrova pads seem to be more durable than the Powerdrive. Cleaning them up a few times each season is probably a good idea.

river rat 83
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Yep, ours just died after 3 seasons of use. As you said Red, I also use the directional sides a lot on continuous with the river current.

I have been doing some research on what is out there that is versatile and will give the best for my $$ and I like the remote option.....

It still uses the powerdrive, however it must be better because you're not getting sand, dirt water etc in the foot pedal??

Red Childress
05-09-2009, 06:10 AM
The remote is very nice. I use it frequently when guiding but not so much when both hands are busy fishing. I have not had any problems with my remote since I started using one 3 years ago.