PDA

View Full Version : Kennerdell to Emlenton

river rat 83
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I have been doing some research the past few nights on published Musky catches and articles about the stretch from Kennerdell to I-80. I am attempting to find some information about the population density of musky in this area......Do any of you guys / gals fish this stretch? Do any good?

Red Childress
05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I have heard/seen photos of some very nice fish coming from that area but I have never fished that stretch. There is a healthy population throughout the entire Middle Allegheny.

Finding any information/studies anywhere on the Allegheny River has been very hard for me to locate.....as a matter of fact, I have never found any published musky studies pertaining to the middle Allegheny River. Back when the PFBC was contemplating the new size limit changes, they were recruiting the help of fisherman by answering a "musky questionnaire". That is the closest thing to a river study I have seen. There has to be a study out there somewhere, I just have not found it yet.....still looking. :)

Some states use models or results of experiments from other states and apply the generalization to their home waters that fit that criteria.

Good luck on your quest!

Pescatore
05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
River Rat,
My Father in Law owned a camp in Rockland throughout the 70's and 80's. This is half way between Kennerdel and Emlenton. Though I have never fished that area for musky, he had caught several during his time owning that camp. He said his neighor George Lasik was an avid musky fisherman that took a two week vacation to Rockland every year in July to fish the river. There is a deeper slow moving section on the East side of the river that has a large weed bed that George would fish. He said George would drift threw that section all day from 4am till no later than noon and catch his limit every year during his two week vacation. He said George used alot of large top water baits.

Hope that helps