PDA

View Full Version : Have 6 oz. to 12 oz. lead to get me down deep How to do?

fish N ski
05-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I have some lead weights to get me down deep. 4 oz. to 12 oz. it says on them. Can I attach them to my 40" leaders where the swivel meets the line or should I run a 3 Way swivel before that to NOT spook the fish? I was thinking just to hook it on my mono leaders since they are the longest ones. Is this correct? I mean where the line meets the leader???? thanks Fish N ski. (boy do I need some schooling)

Red Childress
05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
I would run a BIG 3-way and have your droppers made from 40lb. mono so if they snag, you loose the lead not your 40.00 bait. If you are not using the lead, you still have the 3-way there to pick up floaters and keep baits clean.

I would also increase the length of your leaders to 5 feet.

Ivan
05-27-2009, 11:20 AM
My first question would be....Why are you running weight? I would assume to get deeper. Why don't you just run deeper diving baits. If you have perchbaits, hookers, plows, etc you can get down 30'. Shouldn't need to fish any deeper than that. If your fishing now or summer, I would think the muskies would be suspended in the top 30 fow or less even.

I run a lot of weights up at St Clair. If you do troll with weights, check your leader material because the sway back and forth will cause the weight to wear through mono or floro leaders. When I run weights, I use a small section of wire by the weight and then the rest floro. I hook the weghts onto the swivel at the top of my leader with a snap. My leaders are as long as my arm spead is.
AdamA.

Red Childress
05-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I am assuming Fish-n-ski is a river rat so this reply pertains to fishing rivers without thermoclines.....

There are a few benefits of using a set-up like this especially in river areas where trolling space is limited.....it allows you to use smaller baits and get much deeper with them (if long-lining perchbaits/hookers/plows are not your cup of tea) and keep your turns nice and tight when trolling certain pieces of structure or tight breaklines. It also allows you to walk your baits over boulders/logs/etc without snagging provided you are using very shallow running baits and your dropper line is the right length for the bait you are using......

For me, it sure makes running 4 rods (with clients) much easier when fishing tight quarters here on the river. 2 rods with lead and 2 without.......Poor Man's Downrigger. :)

Ivan
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeh, maybe he is thinking about a river application with the weights. I assumed he was thinking of a way to get deeper in Kinzua since he was talking about an upcomming trip there in the paint smell thread.

Red Childress
05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Maybe I am wrong with my assumption as well.........