PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a walleye/salmon boat

hunt-fish
06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I want to buy a boat that is a well round boat for both walleye and salmon. What size do you recommend and what size motor(s).

Thanks

Zulu
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I have a 1988 21 foot Thompson 210 fisherman with a hard top with a 3.7 I/O. I use it for both Salmon and Walleye. I have owned it since 1995 and would consider selling it. It has all the bells and whistels and is a good reliable boat. If your intrested give me a call 906-280-2585.

dness
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
If you ask 10 guys for advice on this one you will probably get 10 different answers. My opinion is a good salmon boat can always catch walleye but I'm not sure I'd want to chase salmon in some boats that are just fine for walleye. It really depends on how much open water you expect to face. If you head out to the open waters of lake Michigan or even the center parts of the Bay of Green Bay then be prepared for larger waves and higher winds. Boats with low transoms can take water over the stern in certain conditions and that is not a good thing if you develop engine trouble or end up drifting in rough seas. I like a boat with plenty of freeboard and a high transom well or better yet sterndrive or seadrive bracket. Good windshield and at least a canvas top are also important out in the open waters. A good stable boat 18-25' will get the job done with sufficient margin of safety. Speed is not too important but its nice to be able to get up and plane along at 25-35 mph without pushing it to wide open. My advice, look at several, go for a ride before you buy, talk to guys at the harbor when they are coming in, and don't forget to get a mechanic to look it over before you put down the hard earned dollars. Its always wise to at least get a compression check to avoid major problems in the near term.

Salmon or walleye....either way you win!! fun to catch and even better to eat!! Good Luck!

jtourangeau
06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
First you need to be honest.What is you target price range?I'd rather be in a 20' multispecies ;yarcraft, ranger, skeeter... ect,with lower freeboard than a'' tugboat'' from the 70s with a ''good'' running rebuild when Im 13+mi out in anything over 4'.Ive seen 19' fish/ski combos [bayliner,searay,larson] that fit the bill for bolth and have also seen a 14'tiller that you can pick your days at the can with.Trolling into the waves is always tough with any boat,Ive ran a 24' cuddy and a 619 ranger for salmon/eyes.I would pick fishabillity every time.The boat made for fishing outperfomed the one made for ''watercamping'',but was more comfortable.The biggest thing with a used boat is the components,kicker,gps,rodholders,bowmount and the condition of those.I guess I could give my personal recomendation only if I new what you projected $range will be.Without that I would say newer the better,over 18',good waranty.

RudyG
06-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Have to agree to some extent with both guys. I like the higher freeboard but manuverablity is much better with a slightly lower boat.
I owned a 16' Pro V Smoker wqith a full windshield years ago that I took out on Superior steady for Lakers/salmon and up the river or on Gogebic for Eyes. It handled the big waves beautifully! And even Gogebic can kick up some 4 footers when the wind gets goin. But a little bigger boat was a wish many times.. like 4 guys on Superior in 3 footers.
The 22' cuddy I fish out of now "bought last year" is great in Big waves.. and I love the room.. but you really have to pay attention when the wind is gusting because it grabs it and spins ya around right now! It's not so bad at higher trolling speeds like for Kings but slow it down for Eyes and control can be a challenge at times.. even with the 15 HP Kicker I added this year.

That said.. I wouldnt give up the extra fightin room I have for a screamin salmon.. or the beam to keep the riggers spread, or the freeboard for leanin over and nettin in Big water when your all alone. A little smaller (18-20) would be a more ideal for Eyes maybe. Gettin Skinny with a 22' boat means really spreadin the boards out .. "unless the bite is real hot!"

Consider this.. How much Eye fishin are ya gonna do.. and how much Salmon... then I would lean toward the size best suited for your preferance.. I have watched quite a few 16-18 foot Fiberglass walleye boats pull their riggers up and head back in when the waves got too big for 'em at Fairport. My personal preferance is, and always was Salmon fishing.

Frank S
06-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Good suggestions above. Your style of fishing will be the main factor in a choice. Plenty of smaller (16-17') boats used for salmon, but you have to know your limitations, safety first, how much experience you have on the water. Towing, storage at home also a factor. Some basics on used boats, First--Go for a ride, bring an experienced boater with you, no exceptions, no ride, walk away. Used boats are almost always worth less than the owner thinks, especially if they are older than 7-8 years. Can get a rough idea on NADA price guides on the computer.Used equipment isn't worth much either, especially electronics over about 3-4 years, can be good stuff, just not worth that much. Talking at a boat launch is a good idea, getting input from people who are happy with their rigs rather than someone trying to sell. Buying a used boat can be a great deal, try to figure out what you want and will work for you, then look at a lot of them, and bargain hard. Lots of good deals out there.

hunt-fish
06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I have a 1988 21 foot Thompson 210 fisherman with a hard top with a 3.7 I/O. I use it for both Salmon and Walleye. I have owned it since 1995 and would consider selling it. It has all the bells and whistels and is a good reliable boat. If your intrested give me a call 906-280-2585.

Can you post any pictures and how much are you asking?

hunt-fish
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Thank You Everyone for your responses. I appreciate your input...

Zulu
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I e-mailed you the photo's you requested. I am not sure if you received them. I had to add .com to the address you gave me to get it to go. Give me a call if you did not receive them. I tried to post a picture but had no luck.