PDA

View Full Version : Something completley different

The Bait Shop Guy
06-14-2009, 10:58 PM
My dad and I gave the boats the night off tonight, and broke out the waders to do a little fly fishing on the Escanaba River for some trout. It's been a couple of years since either one of us had been up there to do that, so we were both a little rusty, and missed a few fish because of it. The bite was fairly slow until just before dark when the mayfly hatch got into full swing. We both lost several fish, but managed to land a few browns and a couple rainbows. A tan elk hair caddis and a big tan mayfly imitator dry fly were the two I caught all my fish on.

It's good to fish something different now and then.

jigginfins
06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I was wondering if you would maybe be willing to share the spot as to where a person would go to fly fish and actually get fish like that.

I always wanted to fly fish but dont know any spots worth going to.

If you cant say, no hard feelings

Dull Hooks
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I haven't fished down there but try this out

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Guide_09final_23_271667_7.pdf

the black part of the Esky river is artificial lures only with a pretty good minimum size. I think that would be somewhere to look into.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Yep, quality trout regs on the stretch of river downstream from the Boney Falls dam for about 14 miles. You can only keep 2 fish, with a 12 inch minimum size limit. The majority of good trout fishing is from the dam, down to Cornell. It's hardly a secret spot. There were more guys fishing up there Sunday night than I have ever seen there before. That said, it's still probably the best stretch of fly water in the whole U.P. Swing by the shop sometime with a county map and I'll show you a few spots to get access.