PDA

View Full Version : Wed. June 17th...P.M. scouting trip!

CaptainKenLee
06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Well...the wife got home from work this afternoon and I was ready to hit the water. This nice weather (and a day off) gave me a great opportunity to do some scouting. I launched from Gladstone around 4:45 p.m. (only one other trailer in the lot) and headed to a sharp weedline to check out if the fish were there yet. Last year we started getting lots of fish there at this time. Well...the fish were there, I could see them with my polarized glasses on. Saw several schools of walleyes, and except for a nice 19 incher caught while casting a crankbait, they were not on the bite. So...it was off to another area that I haven't fished much the past couple of years. Here I was pitching a 1/4 oz. chartreuse jig tipped with just 1/2 a crawler and I managed to find some fish. I finished out my walleye limit, released a couple of keepers, lost several walleyes, and caught 6 or 8 pike and about a dozen sheepshead. They were fun on 6lb. line, but also a nuisance. I could not believe the water temperature was 73 when I first hit the water, and 70 when I came in just before dark. Just a week ago Saturday I had ice on the windshield in the morning and the water temp. was 56 to start the day. What a difference a few nice days makes, seems like it's improving the bite too. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.